Friday 23 November 2012

A thought on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in the country I live in, but I think it's one of those rare holidays that have a topic that makes sense - a topic that isn't tied to a religion, or something else that may limit one's views of things. I know Thanksgiving from American TV series and movies, because - let's face it - they always seem to celebrate either Thanksgiving or Christmas in those.

My view on Thanksgiving is that although it's a cool holiday, it should be a part of everyday life instead of a yearly event. We should give thanks and appreciation every single day. It has become particularly relevant for me during the past year, as my beloved dog was diagnosed with Cushing's disease. She has medication for it, but at one point her dose was too big, which resulted in her throwing up virtually everything. Thankfully, the correct amount of medicine for her was discovered and she's now doing fine with her illness. I've decided to be particularly thankful for every day I get to spend with her and my other loved ones: my parents, my siblings, my friends and other living things that are dear to me. I am extremely thankful that my mother survived breast cancer, that my father is able to keep his intestinal disease in control - thank you Finnish healthcare! I'm thankful that my siblings have built themselves good lives around good people and are doing okay. I'm thankful that I was born in a country, where I obtained all the keys to a good life the second it began. I'm thankful that I've got more chances to continue my studies than I've deserved, and that I found a school that I love going to.

Blog Azeroth Thanksgiving Event 2012
Logo created with WoW Item Creator!

As for my interactive life, I'd like to thank everyone who has given the Adventures support during its first half a year of life. The WoW blogging community I've got into is most wonderful, and I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better. Thanks to everyone that stops by to read or to leave a comment.

It's been well over a year since Lanfranco, Kinsey and I formed our guild Menagerie, and it's grown hugely since that day. First of all I'd like to give an immense thanks to Lan and Kidney for sticking with me on this crazy ride. The two of you are amazing. Our entire core raiding group gets appreciation and thanks from me, as you are a source of positive energy for me and it's a true pleasure to bond with you through raiding. A big thanks to everyone, an old member or a newbie, who sticks around and enjoys the shenanigans that we come up with. And thank you for putting up with me as I am!

It's impossible for people to judge the importance of certain things in one's life from the outside. Surely people cay say that WoW is just a game, but for me it's been a source of great energy during some really dark times in my life. On WoW I've met some of the coolest people I know - I'm close friends with some of them today. Thank you Blizzard for creating this game.

If we go further back in time, it wasn't very bright back then either. That was when a band called Scorpions pretty much saved my life. Their music was something I could hold on to when I couldn't really find much positive in my life. They have no doubt shaped my life greatly by maintaining it during that dark time. I met a very good friend through their music - a friend that I recently lost, the same year that Scorpions are throwing their final tour. Thank you Scorpions for all the good things you've given me.

4 comments:

  1. Heya Nica,

    It is great to see a new blogger around, Thanks so much for joining us this year Blog Azeroth Thanksgiving event. I agree with you thanking someone or just be thankful everyday it doesnt need to celebrate it once a year but every day. I also admired that your a strong women and cherish all your beloved family despite the troubles you had but good things came and everyone is happy which is very nice. Thanks again for joining and I am looking forward to read more of your topics here. Ill add you in my blogroll as well. Thanks hon! and Keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amerence!

      Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by! It was my pleasure to contribute to the event, and I'm looking forward to doing so in the future. Thanks a ton for the blogroll add, too! :)

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post. Good to see you've found so many good things since playing as well as in your personal life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heartfelt thanks, Cymre! It's taken me a long time to learn to see those good things - and yet I still often forget to appreciate them, which is why writing this post felt quite good.

      Have a lovely week!

      Delete